Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:02:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Vladimir Kushnir <volodya@mail.kar.net>, Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.ORG>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/isa isa_common.c

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Vladimir Kushnir wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but is there any driver for YMF724 except for OSS? If so (even in
> > some under-pre-alpha state) I'd be more than happy to test it.
>
> I've been working on a driver which would support the 'legacy' (i.e.
> soundblaster compatible) section of the chip. This would support playback
> but not record but its better than nothing. At this stage, I have it
> mostly working but no sound yet (probably a mixer problem).

Really? Cool!

I've tried the same thing, and through a series of ugly hacks, got the SB
Pro bits to probe and attach correctly (and if you set the SBPro version
to 3.x or whatever the latest version is, you get a mixer device).  Sadly
I couldn't get any sound out of it (mpg123 set to 8bit mode..).
Although, I'm not too sure how useful 8bit sound would really be.

- alex