Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:16:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting from NT ?

> Is there a way to boot a FreeBSD kernel from NT ? I have been told that
> fbsdboot does not run because of protection problems....
>
> I admit i want to make things difficult, because i cannot have a
> FreeBSD partition on the disk so i need to boot a kernel from an
> NTFS partition (not necessarily from NT, even from the boot manager
> would do but i doubt i can load it!)

>From a running NT, you would have to provide a VXD that, running
in protected mode, loaded the code and jumped to it.

You would basically have to recreate most of the second stage boot,
and start thwacking up a virtual address space.

At the very least, you would need to modify locore.s.

NT doesn't return to real mode for anything; that's why it doesn't
have the VM86 based drivers available, as Windows 95 does, that
would allow it to run on all PC hardware.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.