Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 19:51:00 -0500
From:      "Webster, Andrew" <awebster@connectalk.com>
To:        "Peter" <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: setting up french keyboard

Hmm, looks like you are outputting UTF-8 instead of ISO-8859-1, or at lea=
st your mailer is doing that.  UTF-8 is 16bit characters for the accented=
 characters.
Which window manager are you using with X?  KDE or Gnome?  Both have keyb=
oard manipulation tools as part of their packages.

Personally I prefer the US International keyboard.  This way the characte=
rs stay where they belong, but ', ", ^, ~, and ` are dead keys, so if you=
 type ' followed by a you get =E1. =20

I don't know if there is a quick switch key combination as in windows, bu=
t I'm sure there is something that can be setup.

> > $ setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout ca -variant basic
> > $ setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us -variant basic
>=20
> Hmmm.  Looks like my perfectly good French accents in my compose window=
 do
> not end up as such when I read them in my browser.  When I reply (what =
I'm