Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:07:57 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <mail@maxlor.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: parallel builds revisited

--nextPart1905326.VZ0lf1cZNu

On Thursday 12 April 2007 11:06, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> I dunno how you want to approach this, but gmake does recommend 2
> jobs be run in parallel for HTT enabled chips, and 3 or 4 jobs for a
> dual core machines.
> -Garrett

So far the approach is one job per CPU. I'll do some benchmarks lateron=20
to determine wether it really helps to run more jobs. For the KDE=20
ports, my gut feeling is that the improvement would be negligible. I'll=20
have to evaluate non-C++ ports like gnome-*, where the compilation time=20
per file is shorter.

Of course, to make proper use of distcc, at least #cores + 1 jobs are=20
required. I'll keep that in mind.

Cheers
Benjamin