Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Timed out while idle :-(

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, B. Richardson wrote:

> Started out with 2.2.5 and an adaptec 2940 and two (unterminated)
> Seagate drives and everything was fine. Added a 3940, a Quantum
> drive, installed 2.2-19980629-RELEASE and cam drivers on 6/29.
> The message below appeared. The quantum was terminated, the seagates
> were not, so I terminated the seagates (at this point all three drives
> were terminated via a termination block that was on an adapter that
> the hotswappable drives plugged into). The ugly message came back,

  You can't just terminate at whim.  The last drive in a SCSI chain must
be terminated.  No more, no less.  Terminating all drives is very bad.

> but not as quickly. After some juggling, I discovered that the
> seagates were not happy being terminated with the termination block
> on the hot swap adapters. I got some active terminators and terminated
> a single seagate with it. Then the problem would alway appear on
> places other than that drive so I thought it was fixed. As a final
> test, I ran bonnie on with the two seagates only in the machine, each
> on a separate channel, and each terminated with an active terminator.
> The ugly message returned. Been struggling with it since 6/29 and
> about to scrap the idea. This was to be a squid box (performs really
> well until filesystems freeze) and this project is at the do or die
> phase. My client is going back into the loop of proprietary
> hardware/software if I can't make it fly. If I can make it fly, they
> want to build several large scale systems.

  I've always found Seagate drives to be stable with the Adaptec driver (I
only use Barracuda 4XL or 4LP).  Quantum drives are another story.

  I would try an NCR 875 based card.

Tom