Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:09:38 -0300
From:      Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   -RC2 needs BootMngr to control certail partition layout

I've noted a courious behaviour w/ standard boot code. I've just
installed, as usual, a "real life" testing enviroment, the partition
layout is disposed this way:

/dev/ad0s1b     none
/dev/ad0s2b     none
/dev/ad0s1a     /
/dev/ad0s1d     /tmp
/dev/ad0s1e     /usr
/dev/ad0s2d     /usr/home
/dev/ad0s1f     /var
/dev/ad0s1g     /var/qmail
/dev/ad0s2e     /usr/local/vpopmail

If I install the standard boot code via sysinstall the first reboot
after installation does not boot the system. It shows up a "invalid
partition table" message and stops.

Have reinstalled the standard boot after the reinstallation via CDROM
(Custom, Partitions, (S)et the 2 primary partition Active and (W)rite
information do disk. If I once again install the standard boot, the
behaviour repeats on the next boot, "invalid partition table". But with
Boot Manager even seting only the first primary partition active,
everything works fine after pressing F1 on BootMngr.

So, this layout needs BootMngr, even the system being a single-boot one.

Any output would help?

--
Atenciosamente,

Patrick Tracanelli