Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:30:04 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Hrisikesh sahu <hrisikeshsahu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fresh installation 9.1

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:49:13 +0530, Hrisikesh sahu wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am facing a strange issue..
> I installed 9.1 release and installation went successful
>  After boot up  i got this error -
>

> File system had an unexpected inconsistency.
> > ufs : /dev/ada0s1d (/var)
> unknown error ; ! Help
> Error - Aborting Boot
>
> Going to single user mode.
>
> #
>

> Please help me if i need to do anything else.

It seems that the /var partition has not been unmounted
properly. Perform a manual file system check and retry.

The command

	# fsck -yf /dev/ada0s1d

should be applied in single user mode, with /var being
unmounted.

To make sure file systems are clean _prior_ to booting
the system, put

	background_fsck="NO"

into /etc/rc.conf; this may lead to longer startup times
when something is "strange" regarding file systems, but
it will prevent you from booting into a possibly damaged
environment (which could cause more trouble and maybe even
data loss, which justifies the longer boot time in my
opinion).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany