Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:46:44 -0400
From:      charlespeters@chickenbean.com
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Dual Hommed Gateway (ipfw and natd)

I have been attempting to set up a freebsd box to route packets from my
Novell 3.12 network through to the internet via a cable modem.  The
configuration of the network cards is as follows:

	firewall_enable="YES"
	firewall_type="OPEN"
	firewall_quiet="NO"
	tcp_extensions="YES"
	network_interfaces="de0 de1 lo1"
ifconfig_de0="inet 24.4.113.999 netmask 255.255.255.0"   # (not really 999)
ifconfig_de1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
	ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"

de0 is connected to the cable modem, and de1 is connected to my lan hub.

The Network routing options in my rc.conf file is as follows:

	defaultrouter="24.4.113.1"	# the router at my ips location
static_routes=""
gateway_enable="YES"
router_enable="NO"
router_flags="-q"
mrouted_enable="NO"
mrouted_flags=""
forward_sourceroute="NO"
accept_sourceroute="NO"

Also, I have not made any changes to the rc.firewall (didn't want to screw
up anything anymore than I alread have) file, or to any other /etc/rc.* file
or /etc/*.conf file.

I would also like to set up a firewall to protect my network (local) from
outsiders, but I guess that I should get the router thing working first.  I
have read the man ipfw and man natd, but they are not much help to me.

I am also very new to this, but I am learning.  I would appreciate as much
help as possible, as I have spent the better part of last week on this
problem, and my deadline is getting near.

Thanks in advance!

Charles

charlespeters@chickenbean.com
charlespeters@tecpro.com