Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:54:39 -0600
From:      David J Brooks <daeg@houston.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portinstall question

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 01:03, Ashok Shrestha wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm installing kde on freebsd 6.0.
>
> portinstall -rRP x11/kde3
>

> It's been compiling for the past 2 days. (AMD XP 1900)

I feel your pain. Think of it as a good warm-up sprint for KDE4 ;)

> 1)
> The problem is that once in a while it'll come across a port that
> requires user input. So I always OK the default configurations at the
> blue screen. Is there a way to get portinstall to accept the default
> configurations without user intervention? I tried '--yes' option but
> that didn't work.

you can do 'make config-recursive' in /usr/ports/x11/kde3. That will let you
set the configurations on all of the dependencies at one shot.

> 2)
> I expected the '-P' option to download the majority of the
> dependencies as binary packages. But that doesn't seem to be the case;
> it seems like everything is being compiled. Unless I unintentionally
> specified '-p' (lowercase), shouldn't there be more binary downloads
> and faster installs?

I don't think there are yet any binary packages for the latest port of kde.

> 3)
> Is there a way to check or determine the progress of the install? For
> instance, a way to determine all the dependencies (and file sizes) and
> see how many have installed so far? I know you can do 'portinstall -n
> kde3'; but I'm afraid to do it while the current portinstall is
> running.

I'm sure there must be a better way, but 'ps' will show you what's currently
being compiled, or 'portversion -l "kde"' will show you which parts have been
completed.

> --
> Ashok Shrestha

HTH,
David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.