Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 16:11:32 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ps segfaults since I overclocked. and worries.

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Steve, and everybody else:
>
> If you overclock, we don't want to waste time on your trouble before you
> convince us that the same problem occur if you run your hardware inside
> spec.
>
> End of story!
>
> Run it inside spec, if you still have problems, tell us, if they disappear
> you will probably be able to draw your own conclusions from that.
>
> DO NOT EVEN BOTHER REPLY UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE THIS!

My machine is fine at normal speeds, without the overclocking, I already
mentioned this.

I was wondering if there was a problem with FreeBSD on computers with non
66MHz bus speeds. There is some mention of this in /sys/pci/ide_pci.c, I
am 100% certain that the hardware I have is performing fine at these
speeds, however it would be handy if FreeBSD is able to cope with the new
higher limits that are going to be in place fairly soon. It's silly to
assume we'll be stuck with 66MHz busses forever and anyone who actually
owns a 188MHz 6x86MX will be clocking at 75MHz buss speed anyway.

If there are hardcoded limits that prevent these people from using FreeBSD
then that is a problem. Isn't it ?

I'm not asking for for anyone to solve this problem for me specifically.
I'm just asking whether FreeBSD will actually run properly on a standard
PC that is by default running at frequencies and with timing values that
people are not used to.

Does the following mean that some new PC's are not going to work properly?
And that FreeBSD just won't support them ?

from src/sys/pci/ide_pci.c:
355-    }
356-}
357-
358-/*
359- * XXX timing values set here are only good for 30/33MHz buses; should
deal
360: * with slower ones too (BTW: you overclock-- you lose)
361- */
362-
363-static int
364-via_571_dmainit(struct ide_pci_cookie *cookie,
365-            struct wdparams *wp,
--
660-    }
661-}

I'll shut up now, but if FreeBSD isn't going to be supporting hardware
that will be becoming standard soon then I'm slightly worried, I'd have
thought current- was the testing ground for stuff such as this

	Steve

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/