Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:04:53 -0500
From:      Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
To:        Programmer In Training <pit@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java For Firefox
References:  <201003180950.04627.achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> <20100318062151.7791fdbc@scorpio.seibercom.net> <20100318113348.281f2de5@ernst.jennejohn.org> <970380131003180354n37bf379ej9b17aab91a1c130@mail.gmail.com> <19362.8135.173250.410907@jerusalem.litteratus.org> <970380131003180713v89c630cucbe506dbba19eb25@mail.gmail.com> <4BA2C4E0.1050805@FreeBSD.org> <20100319062247.7068afff@scorpio.seibercom.net> <19363.27281.684199.469796@jerusalem.litteratus.org> <4BA384AB.3010609@joseph-a-nagy-jr.us>

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:05:31AM -0500, Programmer In Training wrote:
> Is that what I said? I don't recall saying anything of the sort. I do
> recall asking for a time frame on when a Java update compatible with
> FF 3.6 would be available.
>
> I ask because I am the one who started this thread.
>
> I would be more then willing to donate cycles and space for testing
> and bug reporting. That's going to be the extent of my contributions
> because I am still getting the hang of tcsh (I'm used to bash, still
> some things in tcsh that are different enough for me to get used to)
> and of FreeBSD (I am new to using it also, having taken a multi-year
> hiatus from any time of *Nix environment (previously Gentoo Linux)).

I'm not deeply involved in the FreeBSD project.  I just use it and make
my donations to the FreeBSD Foundation.  I try to make good bug reports
when I find issues.  I read the mailing lists.  That's about the extent
of my involvement.

The trouble with offers of "cycles and space" is everyone offers that.
Why not, it doesn't cost them anything?  Except for the ports cluster, I
don't think the project is short on "cycles and space".  Unfortunately,
the ports cluster appears to require dedicated hardware, not just spare
cycles such as the distributed.net type projects could use.

What the project appears to be short on is programmers willing to do the
work.  There seem to be several programmers who would like to work on
FreeBSD stuff more regularly.  The more specific resource which may be
missing is programmers with sufficient money to pay their bills, feed
their families, and who still have time to work on FreeBSD.

If you want a particular something accomplished, and do not have the
coding skills to do it yourself, you might try offering to fund a
programmer to scratch your itch.  If you can't afford sufficient funds
to get a programmer's attention, you might setup a bounty through
with multiple people can contribute toward scratching their common
itch.  Your time spent coordinating the bounty efforts would be a quite
valuable contribution to the project.

I think many people are simply worn out from politely refusing the
offers of "cycles and space" and may be a bit testy in general.  Just
remember, e-mail can usually be read as having a much harsher tone than
the author intended.  That is as true for messages sent by you as for
messages sent in reply to your message.  I'm as guilty as the next guy
of inferring a harsh tone from an e-mail.  Also, it seems like everyone,
including those in meat space near me, have been a bit extra touchy
lately.  It might help if everyone could just make allowances for the
possibility that the other guy is just having a bad day.  Don't take
mailing lists so seriously.

So, everyone, step away from the computer.  Look at how nicely spring
is shaping up.  Get some sunlight.  Take a deep breath, smile, and try
again.  Here in Arkansas, we have a lot of daffodils up.  The fruit
trees are flowering.  The grass is greening up.

lambert@lambertfam.org