Date:      Sat, 13 May 1995 13:10:22 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Thomas Graichen <graichen@sirius.physik.fu-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   some small ideas

hello

i hope this is the right mailinglist for the following:

this is a small collection of things i noticed while installing
FreeBSD (2.0 and/or the latest SNAP's) or working with it:

* is it possible to change the following lines in
/usr/src/sys/netinet/if_ether.c because i always get the "arp info
overwritten for xxx.xxx.255.255 ..." message - we found out that the
machine which overwrites this is a bs2000 - but we don't find an exact
solution for this (jordan said it has something to do with our net -
the people at our net said it has something to do with FreeBSD - they
said - normally the kernel should'nt save the broadcast adresses -
which is xxx.xxx.255.255 for us -but at least the machine and the
net are correct configured - we only have these problems with FreeBSD)
- the problem is that i get this message every ~1/4 hour and my
messages file (/var/log/messages) is nearly unreadable - thus i think
it would be nice if the logging could be "#ifndef"'d by a kernel
config option -that i don't have to change the kernel sources
everytime - how about a "NOOVWRTWARN" option or something else ?

original if_ether.c:

                if (sdl->sdl_alen &&
                    bcmp((caddr_t)ea->arp_sha, LLADDR(sdl), sdl->sdl_alen))
                        log(LOG_INFO, "arp info overwritten for %s by %s\n",
                            inet_ntoa(isaddr), ether_sprintf(ea->arp_sha)); */

to change in:
#ifndef NOOVWRTWARN
                if (sdl->sdl_alen &&
                    bcmp((caddr_t)ea->arp_sha, LLADDR(sdl), sdl->sdl_alen))
                        log(LOG_INFO, "arp info overwritten for %s by %s\n",
                            inet_ntoa(isaddr), ether_sprintf(ea->arp_sha));
#endif

* the next thing is only a cosmetic one:

graichen@mordillo:~cc
cc: No input files
graichen@mordillo:~c++
c++: No input files specified.

graichen@mordillo:~f77
f77: No input files specified.

why not:

graichen@mordillo:~cc
cc: No input files
graichen@mordillo:~c++
c++: No input files
graichen@mordillo:~f77
f77: No input files

it should ba a thing of 1 minute to change it

* is it possible to include an option MULTICASTROUTE into the
sysconfig and netstart scripts to disable the multicast route
224.0.0.0 or what it was - if think most people don't need it and it's
only confusing - why not beeing able to simply say YES or NO in
sysconfig to enable or disable it - i think the aim of /etc/sysconfig
should be that it is possible to configure the whole system only by
one file

                                                  __||
 Perfection is reached, not when there is no  __||       thomas graichen
 longer anything to add, but when there   __||      freie universitaet berlin
 is no longer anything to take away   __||              fachbereich physik
                                  __||
 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery - __||
 ___________________________||____email: graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de____