Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 19:05:25 -0400
From:      Anil John <ajohn@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
To:        "'Greg Lehey'" <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: Compiling kernel for ATAPI CD-ROM error - fatal signal 11- what is it?

Greg Lehey[SMTP:grog@lemis.de] wrote:
   >Well, I'm not the most experienced in this area, so maybe somebody
   >else will come up with better ideas, but normally a SIGSEGV (signal
   >11) indicates memory problems.  This could be main memory, or it could
   >be cache.  Before you go out and buy a new motherboard and memory,
   >check the BIOS setup menus.  Probably the best bet is to disable
   >cache, which will make the machine horribly slow, but if you can then
   >build your kernel, you'll know where the problem lies.  If your BIOS
   >has memory refresh options, try slowing them down a bit.

It Worked!!!!.  I disabled my cache and as you mentioned the machine was as
slooow.. But I let it compile overnight and it went thru... Now my machine
detects the CD Rom when I boot up....
   >being able to access it.  That won't work, of course.  Is there some
   >pressing reason why you can't leave your ATAPI drive as the slave of
   >the master controller?

Not really. Just thought that I would leave that slot open if I wanted to
add a hard disk at a later point.  But for right now, I have the CD-ROM
hanging off it.

Thanks again for all of your help....

Anil