Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:29:51 CDT
From:      Dave Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
To:        "SPEAKEASY <bvagnoni>" <bvagnoni@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

I assume a good portion of the FBSD community once were or still are linux
users.

So why did we switch over or start using FBSD?

Several reasons for me.

Linux has a future that is basically controlled by one person.  The
"benevolent dictator" Linus Torvolds.  If he doesn't like what you have
done it doesn't go into the mainstream linux kernel.  Sure you can build
your own patches and things but then your version of linux will always be a
bastard child - never fully accepted by the community.   I understand that
FBSD actually has an elected group who decides what will be allowed in
future kernels.   Look at PPC linux today.   Its way behind in the
mainstream kernel cuz Linux didn't like it.  Also GGI was a great idea that
was all but killed due to combinations of things including being told it
would never make it to the kernel by Linus.

I wanted to experience something that was new that wouldn't have such a
harsh learning curve.  If you already know UNIX fairly well you can use
FBSD.  There are some differences to administrating a box but some of them
overlap with the Slackware distribution.

Also I want to eventually start using some IPV6 stuff and linux, even
though it supports it or claims to in the kernel config, doesn't have as
cool a networking structure so I figured FBSD would be the way to learn how
to use IPV6.

Things run faster and more stabily in FBSD than under linux including linux
apps.
The NEWBUS architecture is pretty amazing for devices.... <I think AMIGA
had something like that in days of yore.... Will have to ask one of the
elders at work>

Basically I got sick of linux. :)

Dave