Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:43:19 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

invalid opcode wrote:
> This is from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle, it's Linus' own
> personal coding style. Am I the only one here who finds this, ultimate
> shit? Heh, I love how he says functions can't me more than 2 pages long,
> and if you are indenting beyond 3 indentions, your function is broke, and
> you should recode it. Whatever Linus.

I find your words a bit strong, Chris. I am not objecting to your
expletives, but I find this attack to be just a little too harsh.

What the man was saying makes a lot of sense. He constantly uses terms
like "should" (and like-formed "softeners"). There is an explicit
admonishment that this is not intended to be "_force_"ed on anybody.
Hell, you had to dig it out - it wasn't even posted (except as part of
something else maybe).

You have taken this document, which is essentially Linus' own philosphy
of his own programming style and damned it to hell with a wave of the
hand and a dismissive flourish. If you don't like it, come up with
something better.

I may not agree with _all_ of Linus's points, but I agree with enough
of them to make the document useable. It certainly has its place in the
argument for the "One true programming style". The only shit I find
in the whole lot is your addition, quoted at the top.

Mark Murray