Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 21:10:16 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Jeffrey Williams <jeff@sailorfej.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7, runaway clock as guest OS on Microsoft Virtual Server

On 2009-01-21 20:41, Jeffrey Williams wrote:
> I am having a problem with the system clock running excessively fast, I
> initially tried installing 7.1 release but received a nearly continuous
> stream of the "calcru: runtime went backward errors"

Add the following to your /boot/loader.conf file:

kern.hz="100"

I always use this setting with FreeBSD under VMware, and it solves all
these timing problems for me.  (But YMMV.)

However, I am not sure what is at fault here, VMware or FreeBSD...  I'd
guess the latter, since neither Linux nor Windows guest OSes seem to
have any such timing problems.