Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 15:23:19 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> > > Hmmm... this could produce a decent timesavings.
> >
> > Yes, this would in effect do the same thing as the -t option you have
> > now and save a tremendous amount of re-linking of files since the
> > timestamps would not change.
>
> Bah humbug.
>
> The problem is improper dependency graphs in the makefile.

Huh?  Methink you don't understand the problem Mr. Lambert.

trout:/usr/user/nate % ls -l /usr/include/stdio.h
-r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  12938 Nov 22 04:38 /usr/include/stdio.h
trout:/usr/user/nate %

Now, if I got into /usr/src/include and do a 'make install'
the date of that file will change due to the install copying the file in
/usr/include over top of the old file, even though they are the same file
in all respects.

Now, we have

trout:/usr/user/nate % ls -l /usr/include/stdio.h
-r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  12938 Apr  4 15:19 /usr/include/stdio.h
trout:/usr/user/nate %

And any program which has stdio.h in it's dependency lists will need to
be recompiled.

> And jamming make-like dependency capability into install is a
> cockamamy way to fix it.

It has nothing to do with make-like dependency capabilities.  With the
addition of that option, install now determines if it really needs to
install the files rather than blindly doing it no matter what.

> Much better (if one must hack on install) to cause intermediately
> created directories when installing a target to be owned by the
> specified user and group instead of being owned by the installer
> (hint: this would fix a number of X install problems).

This is orthogonal to the entire discussion, and why you are bringing it
up is beyond me.  Have you been talking with J. Monroy lately?

Nate