Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:45:27 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jari Kirma <kirma@cs.hut.fi>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rvdalen@yahoo.co.uk
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Internals e-book

> I am starting my own FreeBSD documentation project.  The name of the new
> book I am writing is "FreeBSD Internals".

I can't resist mentioning that Kirk McKusick and others are working on a
(paper) book on FreeBSD kernel, based on FreeBSD 5 series to replace very
good but aging Design and Implementation of 4.4BSD Operating System (from
the FreeBSD viewpoint).

Last time I talked with him (early this summer) he had a guesstimate that
it'd be complete next summer. OTOH, predicting is hard, especially
predicting the future. ;)

I'm sure waiting for this book...

There's also FreeBSD Architecture Handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/arch-handbook/index.html)
which supposedly works well as a "patch set" for the 4.4BSD book for the
folks that already feel reasonably comfortable with kernel concepts.

-kirma