Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 23:01:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        tobez@plab.ku.dk
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current (a.out) failure for x11-toolkits/p5-Gtk

> From: asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)

>  * > There's no "new perl" that ports need to adopt -- Mark said the system
>  * > perl will behave exactly the same as lang/perl5 in terms of module
>  * > installation.

> I am probably completely missing something, but I don't understand.
> p5-Gtk (in conjuction with perl5, either system or ports) is supposed
> to install all the stuff in /usr/local/lib/perl5.  It does in 2.2, it
> should in 3.0.  If it doesn't, it's the system perl that's broken, not
> the p5-Gtk port.

Probably I missing something very much, but I cannot help wondering
why on earth FreeBSD ports collection has such an _enormous_ amount of
p5-thingy ports?

Why duplicate CPAN?  It is so easy (quite as easy as cding into
/usr/ports and typing make install) to type perl -MCPAN -e shell and
install everything one needs!  I never ever had any problems with
perl's ``official'' way of installing packages and distributions on
FreeBSD (well, if you try some VMS or OS/2 stuff, who knows...)

Not to mention that CPAN is really huge and BSD ports collection
currently contains only a fraction of the stuff from there.  Therefore,
quite often one needs to go to CPAN anyway to install something which
ports collection does not offer.

The particular case of perl's Gtk is an excellent example of my point:
it was downloaded, compiled, tested and installed just fine using CPAN.
All and every manpages were put into correct places, corresponding to
the relative paths of _particular_ local perl installation.  For that
matter - PERL KNOWS BETTER WHERE TO INSTALL ITS MODULES.  Let it do
the job it is good at.

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen

Figure 4  shows memory usage for a script (program)  written in the Perl
scripting language. This program processes a file of string data. (We're
not sure exactly what it is doing with the strings, to be honest;  we do
not really understand this program.)
                  -- P.R. Wilson, M.S. Johnstone, M. Neely, and D. Boles