Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 2010 13:14:49 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap Partition First?

Jerry McAllister writes:
> This could be a problem.   I think using the '*' for size will
> cause it to use the whole remaining space for that partition.
> Even though it logically starts at 2097152, it might not come out
> even on a good boundary or something like that.  It really seems to
> like to have things entered sequentially.

> It should not create a problem in the system, but it might
> introduce some confusion later when you have partly forgotten
> what you did and why.   So, you might want to keep the swap
> on 'b' since it is a strong convention.

	Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, here. I may write
a shell script that runs fdisk and captures the number of total
blocks and subtracts from that value the size of swap. That
would make it possible to generate a totally conventional
bsdlabel file in the order we are used to having the partitions
in.

	This would just be a part of the script that the person
building the new system would run without having to know
precisely how to format the drive.

	Our group has several members who would do just fine in
setting up a system if guided over some of the rough parts by a
good script. The challenge is to come up with something that
does not give someone the rope to hang themselves accidentally.
I am lucky in that I have a couple of old systems to do horrible
things to that are too slow and old for anybody else to need.

	Again, thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer