Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 10:16:23 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Andrei Cojocaru <acojocaru@hotmail.com>
Cc:        bartequi@neomedia.it, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linking Kernel Fails

Andrei Cojocaru wrote:

> Yap thanks I uncommented the scbus support and it compiled fine and I've
> learnt one new thing, not to compile the kernel on a 486, compile it on
> another computer first then move it onto it, unless you have lots of time :)
> hehe Again, thanks for your help.

Be careful though. I just found that doing that had a side effect that
dropped SMP support on one of my systems. I was building for the two
machines I call coral and jade. Coral is dual 866 coppermines and jade is
P-II 400. I had a KERNCONF for both in /etc/make.conf and suddenly coral
quit booting SMP. I wanted to nfs_mount and just do installs on coral but
that didn't work out "). A buildworld on coral suddenly went from 34 minutes
to 46. Normally coral can do a cvsup and full set of builds and installs
faster than jade can do a buildworld. That is only true when it uses both
cpu's.

Cheers,

Kent

> >From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
> >To: Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
> >CC: Andrei Cojocaru <acojocaru@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> >Subject: Re: Linking Kernel Fails
> >Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:28:50 +0200 (CEST)
> >From bartequi@neomedia.it Sat Apr 14 12:28:59 2001
> >
> > > There is a favorite miss called "umass" on the USB bus. That seems to
> >get
> >many people.
> >

> >Yup. I recall seeing a few messages of this kind in the past. Hmm,
> >actually, I
> >answered a question of this kind :-)
> >

> >BTW, this is part of my workstation kernel config:
> >
> ># SCSI Controllers
> >device
> >       ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
> >options        AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO # Allow memory-mapped I/O
> >
> ># SCSI peripherals
> >device
> >       scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
> >device
> >       da              # Direct Access (disks)
> >device
> >       sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
> >device
> >       cd              # CD
> >device
> >       pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
> >
> ># USB support -- everything commented out.
> ># No USB peripherals yet.
> >

> >I have seen no linking/whatever errors, though.
> >
> >Andrei's problem is probably (?) connected with the missing SCSI support.
> >Or...
> >I am missing something else :-)
> >
> >-- Salvo

Kent Stewart