Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 01:50:27 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Frankie Li <notme@lvdi.net>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /stand/sysinstall bug?

On Mon, Jan 17, 2000 at 12:10:14PM -0800, Frankie Li wrote:
> I didn't boot off the CD-ROM when I install the source...  I just
> booted from the hard drive, then /stand/sysinstall, and install
> the source only...

I fear that by re-running /stand/sysinstall, you installed a fresh copy
of the base packages over the old ones.  This might have clobbered your
existing /etc/master.passwd file.  See if you can find any missing
accounts in your /etc/passwd and master.passwd ;)

Oh and one more thing, the best way to upgrade the sources is using
cvsup, IMHO.  I can send a supfile, but making your own after reading
the handbook is many times more beneficial for you.  For me it makes
absolutely no difference at all.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]