Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 2008 12:10:37 +0200
From:      Stevan Tiefert <stevan-tiefert@kabelmail.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Subject:   Re: automount is not recognizing option longname

Am Dienstag, 8. Juli 2008 10:57:39 schrieb Mel:
> On Monday 07 July 2008 17:38:55 Stevan Tiefert wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I have setup amd and it works fine. Only one special situation is making
> > me crazy. When I want to use a USB-Stick without data on it, amd is
> > mounting it with the 8.3-limitation. I've added the option longname in my
> > map-file but it still ignores this option... Does somebody knows about
> > this behavior?
> >
> > My amd.map:
> >
> > usb     type:=pcfs;opts:=utimout=1,longname;dev:=/dev/da0s1
>
> I'm taking a guess here, but if it has 'no data', could it be that it's
> formatted FAT, as in FAT-8, not 16 or 32, cause then longname support is
> rejected by the filesystem itself.

No it is not formatted as FAT16. When I use manually:
# mount -t msdosfs -o longnames /dev/da0s1 /mnt
and then copy files on the empty USB-Stick via:
# cp * /mnt
then the longnames are recognized... This problem is only appearing when I use
amd!

But it was a good guess :-)

Maybe other ideas?
Stevan Tiefert