Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 16:13:32 -0700
From:      dsilver@mail.quantified.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        doug@mail.quantified.com
Subject:   Second hard drive problems

Platform: FBSD 2.2.7

One of our machines which has two IDE drives in it crashed over the
weekend and after that, the /var partition could not mount.  Here's
/etc/fstab:
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
Pass#
/dev/wd0s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/wd0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/wd0s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd1s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/wd0s1f             /www            ufs     rw              2       2

So the root (/, /usr, /www) comes up fine, but when I try to run
fsck, it says "Device not configured".  This drive had been in the machine
for several months, so it's not a new drive at all.  Does anyone have
some advice on how to determine if the drive went bad?  I've never seen
fsck just quit like that.

Thanks in advance!!