Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:43:03 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conferencing tools, Netmeeting, Communicator

> I would like to get a picture of the conferencing tools
> situation once more. There are solutions working in the Win32 field
> a remote Windows screen to the caller (a thing that X windows had
> per se from it's initial design but it's quite unlikely that one will
> be able to export a windows screen by means of these tools
> to the X11 world - despite of looking at things like NTrigue or such)

nv has a nice feature called "X11 grabber" which would use a window
as the video source. It is very very useful, in many cases much
more than having a real camera. Too bad vic does not have one such
thing.

I have an X11 grabber in the works for vic but am working on it at
very low pace (it currently has some problems with colors...) and
my repeated requests for help did not find any taker.

> I wonder if there could be made a working Communicator version
> with audio/video now that Netscape will be releasing source code
> for their browsers this quarter - they said.

provided you can make plugins work (they do work on Communicator
4.0X, but the beast consumes almost 16MB of memory by itself, twice
the already large footprint of 3.0x, and I refuse to use such large
programs if not forced), you can use the "xswallow" program to import
vic/vat/etc in netscape...

> Under NT, btw, I had very satisfactory results with the cheapo (20 $)
> Opti 931 based ISA sound cards allowing full duplex.
> BTW, what is the status of support for the Opti 931
> chipset (Luigi?) I once learned this chipset to be broken but

it works well in full duplex with my driver, since i have a few of
them, and managed to circumvent the "features" and misbehaviours
of the card. I am using it routinely for internet telephony from
home.

	cheers
	luigi