Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 08:13:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feedback on CGI programs wanted.

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996, Mark Murray wrote:

> Have a look at ports/www/wwwcount. That one puts its cgi binary into
> the cgi-bin/ dir. Maybe you want to try that approach?

That's actually the opposite to what I want to try.  That installs the
binary in /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/Count.cgi.  It also puts some things into
/usr/local/etc/Counter.

My personal opinion is that if a machine is a dedicated web server, the
persona responsible for running it isn't going to rely strictly on a port.
Certainly since the port was out of date until about 3 months ago, many
people set up Apache themselves.  Other people run Netscape commerce or
CERN, which install into /usr/local/etc/https and httpd (I think).  My
machines use /usr/local/www, but with everything (conf, logs, docs, the
whole thing) under that one tree.

I can understand the thinking that ports should be built to co-exist with
other ports.  If you're building a port for a web server and it works with
the apache port, great.  For some smaller programs, I agree and use this
(for example I check for /usr/local/Minerva/lib/libmsql.a in some of my
ports to verify the build of MiniSQL).  A web server just seems to be too
integral a part of a system to assume that people have done it by the
book.

I suppose the ideal was of doing this would be an interactive
configuration, and while that's not out of the question, I've met a number
of people who didn't even *know* about the ports collection - just the
packages.  Some people just don't want to learn, so every NO_PACKAGE we
commit reduces the number of users of the program.

Well, that's my morning rant over with.  There must be some simple yet
elegant solution we're missing here, right ?

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |