Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:32:10 +0100 (BST)
From:      davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cron/amd timing trouble in 2.2.2

Hi folks,
	Since upgrading/installing 2.2.2 on several of our machines cron
is having trouble running scripts that are on an amd mounted partition.
The reported error message is /path/scriptname: I/O error.

	The problem was also initially experienced when trying to run
the scripts manually although after rebuilding the kernel and including
the devfs facilities the situation improved.

	The situation appears to be as follows:-
1) if the required amd mount has already been made no problems are experienced
   under any circumstances.
2) if the required amd mount does not already exist manually running the
   script will succeed 95% or more of the time, cron however will fail
   100% of the time.

	This is a change in behaviour since 2.2.1 (same scripts, same amd
maps etc) and is driving me mad.  If anyone knows of any timing changes
that were made to 2.2.2 that are relevant to this problem or any other
possible solution I would be very grateful.

	Please reply direct I'm not subscribed to questions.

--
Dave Whitehead
EMAIL:-                                 | TELEPHONE (work):-