Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:08:44 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Mark Nipper <nipsy@tamu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS server reccomendations...

Mark Nipper wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 11:53:31AM -0400, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> > I am running 4.5R-p4 and they seem to work fine. I asked several times
> > in -hardware and no one threw up really big flags on the KG7.  They ran
> > in test mode a few weeks and have been in production since last Friday
> > and Saturday and seem to be running OK.
> >
> > best
> > Chad
>
>         This has piqued my curiosity.  Looking around, it appears
> Linux has marginal support for getting information on what is
> actually happening with ECC memory _while_ the system is running.
> I found a page talking about this with a kernel module driver to
> download at http://www.anime.net/~goemon/linux-ecc/.
>
>         The real question is, does FreeBSD support anything like
> this?  How do you know (other than the machine just locking up or
> something) when your memory starts to fail?

Well, I have a FreeBSD port based on the somewhat older 0.13 release
of that code.

http://www.ceyah.org/~jandrese/ecc-0.13-freebsd.tar.gz

Just type "make" and copy ecc.ko into /modules.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer