Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:07:30 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: any way to turn a pdf file into something OCR-able?

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 03:14:43PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> 	pdftotext fail on the large [32MB] file I've got.  Is there any
> 	other way I can translate this huge textfile to ascii or html or
> 	text?

Please define "fail" in this context? I've used pdftotxt on documents
exceeding 40MB. However there are of course things that don't work;

1) Some PDFs are just wrappers around JPEG images. In this case there is
no text for pdftotext to convert =3D> epic fail.

2) If the text contains ligatures etc. you should use the proper
encoding that contains such characters (e.g. '-enc UTF-8') or you will
loose them.

3) Things like equations will not render well, if at all. This also
depends on the encoding.

Roland
--=20

--82I3+IH0IqGh5yIs