Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 2009 12:50:34 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8-RC1: iwn0 suspend/resume issues

Scott Lambert wrote:
> Threading broken to avoid potential takover of ral0 thread.
>
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 02:33:26AM +0000, Brandon Gooch wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org> wrote:
>>> iwn does not function after resume so I've actually run ethernet cables
>>> to where I use the laptop now.
>> I have to unload the if_iwn module on suspend, and reload it on resume
>> (via /etc/rc.[suspend|resume], of course).
>>
>> Have you tried that?
>
> I am glad to hear that it works for somebody.  There is hope!  I have:
>
>  kldunload if_iwn
>
> in /etc/rc.suspend and:
>
>  kldload if_iwn
>
> in /etc/rc.resume.
>
> On resume there are lots of
>
> iwn0: iwn_mem_lock: could not lock memory
>
> and
>
> iwn0: iwn_transfer_microcode: could not load boot firmware
> iwn0: iwn_transfer_firmware: could not load boot firmware, error 60
> iwn0: iwn_init_locked: could not load firmware, error 60
>
> I did just notice:
>
> iwn0: Reg Domain: \M^?\M^?\M^?\M^?iwn0: iwn_mem_lock: could not lock memory
>
> Maybe I should set the regulatory domain?  But having just spent a few
> minutes trying, it doesn't seem to be interested...
>
> lambert@slambert:~> sudo ifconfig wlan0 regdomain FCC
> ifconfig: SIOCS80211: Device busy

wlan0 is marked UP; you cannot set regulatory state unless the interface
is down.

> Exit 1
> lambert@slambert:~> sudo ifconfig iwn0 regdomain FCC
> ifconfig: unable to get regulatory domain info: Invalid argument

iwn0 is the wrong interface to use; use wlan0

> Exit 1
>
> Same result with the other regulatory domains.  Maybe iwn just doesn't
> support it?
>
> lambert@slambert:~> sudo ifconfig wlan0 list regdomain
> :regdomain 0 country US anywhere -ecm
>

>   http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/laptop/TravelMate_5720-6911
>
> has my rc.[suspend|resume] and dmesg.[boot|resume] showing the
> issues.  Other stuff in there that might be relevant too, if anyone is
> interested.

Regarding regdomain stuff; AFAIK you cannot alter regulatory state of
any intel wireless card; it will enforce whatever is in the EEPROM.
Can't recall if the driver pushes EEPROM state up to net80211; if not
then it should and it should also reject all requests to change
regulatory until there's fw that supports it.

	Sam