Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 14:35:45 -0800
From:      "Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu>
To:        "Mike McGranahan" <mikemcg@ucla.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

A reply on a subsequent thread on this list ( subject: Boot Manager /
Install ) stated that for the case of Windows XP on the first drive, and
FreeBSD on the second drive, I could use the FreeBSD loader on the
first/Windows XP drive, and leave a "standard MBR" on the second/FreeBSD
drive.

> the bootmgr got installed in mbr of the drive you installed FreeBSD
> on. if you only have FreeBSD on that disk, you don't need the
> bootmgr there.
>
> /stand/sysinstall -> Configure -> Fdisk -> ad0 -> Q -> BootMgr
>                                         -> ad1 -> Q -> Standard
>
> this should get you the FreeBSD boot loader in the MBR of the first
> (XP) drive, and standard MBR on the second (FBSD) drive.

Will this solve my problem? Will the FreeBSD loader be aware of both Windows
XP and FreeBSD on the other disk?  Or will I have to manually configure it?
(Just looking for someone to confirm that this works, no offense to the
poster, Roman Neuhauser.)

Thanks for your help.

Mike