Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 16:18:06 +0200
From:      "Cyrille Lefevre" <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
To:        "Dave Hart" <davehart@davehart.com>
Cc:        "current @FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bind timeouts

"Dave Hart" <davehart@davehart.com> wrote:
> > > * The contents of /etc/resolv.conf.
> >
> > search gits.fr.invalid private.gits.fr.invalid
> > nameserver 127.0.0.1
> > nameserver 213.203.124.146
> > nameserver 212.30.96.108
>
> This seems questionable.  Do the non-localhost nameservers have records for

no, this isn't questionnable since they are also declared in
/etc/namedb/named.conf,
so, in one case, the client asks the local bind to resolv some host, which may
be
local or not, if not, bind asks one of the forwarders to resolve the query.
in another case, the local bind doesn't respond for any reason (down, etc.),
so, the query is directly sent to the first available forwarders, then if
the query isn't satisfied, take a look at /etc/hosts.
since usually, the local bind respond (except for now...), the remote binds
aren't reached using /etc/resolv.conf, but through the local bind.

am I enough clear ? are you right w/ me or am I wrong ?

> gits.fr.invalid?  If not, you should only have 127.0.0.1 listed.

however, no change w/o them in /etc/resolv.conf

# host smarthost
Host not found, try again.
# host -r smarthost
Host not found.