Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 12:29:14 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: Uh oh...

> >> `make world' is not permitted to change /etc.  Especially not
> >> /etc/master.passwd when installing to DESTDIR=/mnt/root.
> >
> >Normally I'd agree, but...  Your counter-suggestion?
>
> `vipw' is good enough for bootstrapping to -current.

Balls.  You and I know both that this just isn't going to fly with the
kinds of -current runners we're getting these days.  They're going to
complain bitterly.

> For 2.2.5R we apparently required manual configuration to add group
> network which is required for at least the installation of ppp.
> This didn't seem to cause many problems.  `make release' should

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Thanks for the good laugh, Bruce, it's now very
plain to me that you haven't been spending much time on the front
lines of tech support lately.  They raised the roof over that one!
It's an excellent example of what I'm worried about, however, and I'm
glad you brought it up.

- Jordan