Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 18:09:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jonny@jonny.eng.br, mike@dingo.cdrom.com, mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernfs/procfs questions...

> Think of this issue:
> 	When writing a message to a /kernfs file to modify a function,
> 	do you want to implement a full and general interface for partial
> 	message transfers, etc???  Sysctl is pseudo-message based, and
> 	operations are complete within themselves.

I think the answer to this question may be:

	Yes.  Once.

> Also, kernfs implies
> a filesystem, and the associated VFS stuff, while it isn't needed
> with sysctl.  You don't need vnodes, or any of the other cruft
> to implement the unnecessary state for sysctl, while filesystems
> have to implement all kinds of things...

They don't have to.  That's just the VFS API FreeBSD currently chooses
to have.  John H. certainly didn't design it to be that way.

Speaking of which, is it stable enough for people without commit
privs to wade back into the pool and start flinging patches yet?  It
seems that you had some SMP patches that you wanted to flesh out and
commit, and Peter has announced some NFS patches, and Michael has yet
to commit his vput() changes, and that it would be a good idea to
wait on them before slogging back in to restart work on the
reconstruction...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---