Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 15:01:14 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Alexey Koptsevich <ak@astro.ioffe.rssi.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hang-up on bootmanager prompt

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have installed FreeBSD on disk of 1629 Mb. I have set drive geometry the
same as detected by BIOS. I have DOS on the 1st slice, but cannot boot
anything now. The fdisk (run from sysinstall from installation diskettes)
says:

Disk geometry: 3309/16/63
Offset	Size	End	Name	PType	Desc		Subtype	Flags
0	63	62	-	6	unused		0
63	834561	834623	wd0s1	2	fat		6	=
834624	370944	1205567	wd0s2	4	extended	5	=>
1205568	2129904	3335471	wd0s3	3	freebsd		165	C=>

The boot prompt:
F1 DOS
F3 FreeBSD
Pressing F1 leads to the beep. Pressing F1 leads to hand-up.

One of the FAQs:
Q: Any restrictions on how I divide the disk up?
A: Yes. You must make sure that your root partition is below 1024
cylinders so the BIOS can boot the kernel from it. (Note that this is a
limitation in the PC's BIOS, not FreeBSD).

As I understand my situation is the exact case. But Linux was installed on
this slice earlier, and the system was able to boot! So, I do not quite
understand, why these limitations are of the BIOS, but not of FreeBSD?
Can I make it work without moving of the existing wd0s2  partition?

Thank you,
Alexey