Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2014 19:51:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg must be version 1.3.8 or greater

On Wed, 24 Sep 2014, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net> writes:
>
>> The portsnap messes with pkg's logic about what needs upgrading & what
>> doesn't, there have been other posts on this topic over the last
>> several weeks (notably from me)
>
> Aside from the fact that the package repositories lag behind the ports
> tree (which is unavoidable until someone manages to procure some
> infinitely fast computers on which the build clusters can run), I can't
> tell which posts are in question.

The whole point of packages. On the fastest (throughput-wise) system I ever had
Xfree86 took 3 days to build. KDE failed after a much longer time. It now takes
me about 45 minutes to 'build' from scratch a system with Xorg, Xfce, and with
my application set. Yea packages.

>> .... Ports & Pkg's are usually updated
>> by the maintainers about weekly, ports often/usually on Wednesday,
>> Pkg's on Saturday.
>
> Maintainers make changes whenever they want (except when a release is
> being prepared, in which case major changes are discouraged, a process
> often referred to as a "slush"). Packages are being built continuously,
> and a full set seems to be taking three or four days at the moment.

This and the unbundling of Xorg seemed to be the death knell for pkg_add et all.
Pkg is well documented and for the most part does what it should/can.

>> My experience is that if you wait until Saturday, your 'pkg-upgrade' will
>> work as desired & you will be off to the races.
>
> If your particular ports updates happen to be getting committed
> mid-week, that sounds about right. The build cluster will be fairly
> certain to have built them into packages three days later. But, again,
> there's no actual schedule.

My experience parallels this. I have [re]built two laptops and two desktop
workstations using pkg, never on any schedule without any issues as far as the
ports were concerned. I even upgraded all the ports (other than Xorg) on my
primary workstation just to see what would happen. This was impossible with
pkg_add and difficult with the assistance of portmaster.

My issue with pkg is occasionally (twice so far), pkg needs to be updated as the
first step. Between versions sure, maybe even between releases, but I hit this
twice sitting at 9.2. In both cases my path to upgrade was not as documentation
would suggest. From the outside this appears to be more of a choice in how to
update/upgrade pkg than by technical necessity. If I had a vote, it would be not
to do this. It would be nice to find out about pkg changes only by reading
UPDATING.