Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:50:30 -0500
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        "Hackers" <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Building PAO kernel on non-PAO system

Greetings, FreeBSD Dudes & Dudettes....

I've got an old laptop that I'd like to run Our Favorite OS(tm) on, but it
**definitely** requires the PAO package to sort out some laptop-esque
"features" that Compaq decided to implement.  I've got 2.1.6 loaded on the
laptop right now (with PAO) and it works pretty well....  (Thanks,
Hosokawa-san!)

The laptop is only a 486/33, so building a new kernel takes just a few ticks
shy of FOREVER on the thing.  I'd like to play around with different kernel
configs and the like, but I lose interest an hour or so into the make....

My desktop machine is a P5 with gobs of RAM and disk (running
[pretty]-current, FWIW) and it occurs to me that one approach might be to
build the PAO-enabled 2.1.6 kernel on the desktop and just NFS it back to the
laptop (thereby saving tons o' time).

Is there an easy way to do this?  I notice that PAO mungs a whole lot of
different sources as well as some included files, and (complicating the
problem, I admit) the P-5 "build" machine is running a newer version of
FreeBSD than the laptop anyway.  Obviously, (?) I don't want to load PAO on
the desktop box, I can't juggle PAO against the -current distribution...

Can someone show me the way?  `chroot`?  A parallel /sys hierarchy?

Signed, Confused in Laptop-land

...sjs...