Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 01:59:20 GMT
From:      Jordan Mendler <jmendler@ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/93923: FreeBSD Install, Sil3112: Cannot dump. No dump device defined.

>Number:         93923
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD Install, Sil3112: Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I am trying to install FreeBSD on a nforce2 based machine containing a Sil3112 SATA controller (non-raid configuration). When I try to install FreeBSD 6.0 right after loading all the drivers at the beginning of the installation I get the error message:
Uptime 1s.
Cannot dump. No dump device defined...
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds. Press any key on the console to abort.

The same error occures when I try to install 5.4-Release or 6.1-Beta1.

Some troubleshooting on bsdforums.org makes me believe this error is in the Sil3112 support, and searching online leads to other people getting the same result. More information can be found on http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39115 or by searching google for other peopls troubles with this controller.

I am only reporting this as a bug because FreeBSD lists this controller as being supported and it seems like the support that there is for it is blotchy. My bios is also already up to date. I exibited a similar problem with this so-called supported controller on linux, but it has been corrected in the latest of linux versions.
>How-To-Repeat:
Trying install any of the listed versions of FreeBSD on a Shuttle XPC motherboard  with Sil3112 controller or possibly other boards with the same controller. After starting to the load the drivers and before entering the Installation menu the problem occures.
>Fix:
Likely related to the Sil3112 SATA controller which is listed as supported.