Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 2021 13:18:11 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibly malformed date in several manual pages

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 11:35:05 +0000, Alexander Best wrote:
> "$Date:" and "$" in the vacation-example of course aren't pretty to have in a
> manual page, but I crosschecked with Linux and here those terms are also
> displayed at the end of the according manual page.
>
> One might could take care of this during the installation process of the manual
> pages, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Just a question:

It looks like "$Date: <something> $" is expanded from the $Date$
header known in CVS (among others). With the transition to SVN
and now to Git, wouldn't those be subject to being converted into
Git's own human-readable headers, making the date information
known to the version control system, or maybe "overwriting" them
with its own timestamp? Or are they kept "as is" when importing
sources from other version control systems (like RCS, CVS, SVN)?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany