Date:      Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:20:03 +0300
From:      Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        tux@pinguru.net, wes@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org, mitsuru@riken.jp, Norikatsu Shigemura <nork@FreeBSD.org>, rtdean@cytherianage.net, sugimura@jp.FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [SUGGEST] Reform eclipse and eclipse related ports

Wes Peters wrote:

> On Oct 15, 2005, at 2:39 AM, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
>
>> Mark Linimon wrote:

>>> [adding freebsd-java to the Cc:]
>>> For some background, there's been on-and-off discussion on -java
>>> about how the java category was never really a good idea.  None of
>>> the other languages have their own primary category.  In particular
>>> we've completely failed to train our users to send 'java' PRs only
>>> for problems with the JVMs and 'ports' PRs for things in ports/java.

>> Although I agree with everything you say here, I can't see how this
>> is an argument against the fact that GEF and CDT most probably  belong
>> to devel. Unless I'm mistaken and you were not making one?
>

> I was making an argument that regardless of where eclipse migrates  too,
> all of it's little pieces should go right along with it, rather  than
> getting spread all over the ports system.

Since you snipped Mark's reply in your quote, let me clarify that my
comments above were directed to Mark and I agree with your point.
However I'm not sure whether there has to be a strict rule that every
eclipse-foo port should go in the same category. Perhaps the emacs
precedent should be followed. See below.

This sounds fine, too.

Cheers,

Panagiotis