Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:08:15 -0800
From:      "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is changed for ARP in 2.2-SNAP

}In message <199611041928.LAA17022@george.lbl.gov> you write:
}>If some one would tell me what is core change for the ARP, so I can make
}>corresponding change in the ATM, it will be appriciated.
}
}Reviewing net/if_ethersubr.c and netinet/if_ether.c, the major change
}that I see is that the interface output routine no longer byte-swaps
}the ethernet packet type, so that arp has to use htons(ETHERTYPE_ARP) .
}
}  Bill

The real problem is not something related to network code. It is releated to
the kernel configuration. I noticed the same problem in 2.1 release, and it
goes away in 2.1.5-release. However, it comes back in 2.2-9608xx-SNAP and
2.2-961014-SNAP. The problem is the maxusers to be limited to 15.

If the maxusers is set to 16 or higher, it breaks NCR and ATM drivers somehow.
The symptom is that the driver registers are mis-configured. I don't know why
and how, so I need more information about what changed on this part.
I do not know if it breaks other drivers so far. So, please let me know
what has been changed in system configuration from 2.1 -> 2.1.5 -> 2.2-SNAP
which may cause such problem, I may easy to trace down where the problem
occurs, and try to make sure it will not happen again.

Thanks,

-Jin