Date:      Wed, 07 May 1997 00:32:25 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bind before hosts and iijppp...

> As Brian Somers wrote:
>
> > > Too many people might playingly enable this entry then, it's not a
> > > good idea.  Maybe a secondary for `domain.com'. :-)
> >
> > Agreed.  I also think a "cheat entry" should be made available, but
> > I wouldn't mind some comments on this.
>
> What about this:
>
> ; Example secondary config entries.  It can be convenient to become
> ; a secondary at least for the zone where your own domain is in.  Ask
> ; your network administrator for the IP address of the responsible
> ; primary.
> ;
> ; Never forget to include the reverse lookup (IN-ADDR.ARPA) zone!
> ; (This is the first bytes of the respective IP address, in reverse
> ; order, with ".IN-ADDR.ARPA" appended.)
> ;
> ; Before starting to setup a primary zone, better make sure you fully
> ; understand how DNS and BIND works, however.  There are sometimes
> ; unobvious pitfalls.  Setting up a secondary is comparably simpler.
> ;
> ; NB: Don't blindly comment out the examples below. :-)  Use actual
                              ^^^
                              Don't you mean "in" ?

> ; names and addresses instead.
> ;
> ;type       zone name               IP of primary  backup file name
> ;==================================================================
> ;secondary  domain.com              127.0.0.1      domain.com.bak
> ;secondary  0.168.192.in-addr.arpa  127.0.0.1      0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.bak
> ;
> ;
> ; If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream provider, enter
> ; its IP address here.  This will make you benefit from its cache,
> ; thus reduce overall DNS traffic in the Internet.
> ;
> ;forwarders 127.0.0.1

; If you don't wish to do any DNS searches yourself, use the following
; line to force all non-primary and non-secondary lookups to go to your
; forwarders.  You should point your forwarders line at one or more caching
; DNSs if you use this.
options forward-only

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org>, <brian@freebsd.org>