Date:      Fri, 5 May 2000 14:14:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

In my testing, I had 8x 18G LVD Quantum drives.  With the same batch
of drives, Vinum would deliver 35M/s reads and the AMI MegaRAID 1400
would deliver 14M/s reads.  We're talking about a straight bonnie
test, writing 5G files.

The machine in question had 768M of RAM and the AMI 1400 had 64M of
onboard (battery backed up) cache and was a PIII/450.

I got the same results with both the Adaptec 2940U2W and the
TekRAM-590F controllers.

The battery-backed-up or not nature of the hardware RAID is immeterial
to the "quality" of the system, BTW.  The batter is neaded with the
hardware solution because the PC doesn't know if the data has been
written or not.  In the Vinum case, the system knows what's been
written and what's not ...

(Then you have to start arguing about soft updates and other things
--- it gets complicated... but done right you can have a few hundred
megs of cache rather than 64)

Dave.