Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 2000 11:40:29 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Alex Varju <varju@webct.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB16 doens't work in 4.0-STABLE

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 10:58:52AM -0700, Alex Varju wrote:
> I was hoping for some magical solution to my problem on this thread, but
> unfortunately it hasn't happened yet.  I have a PCI soundblaster, which
> gets identified as:
>
>   $ cat /dev/sndstat
>   FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) May 28 2000 15:36:30
>   Installed devices:
>   pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xb000 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)
>
> In my kernel config, I have:
>
>   # sound
>   device pcm
>   device sbc
>
> In short, things look like they should work as far as I can tell, but when
> I try to play audio, I hear no sound.  When I use xmms, for example, it
> does think that everything is working...the clock keeps ticking, the
> graphic equalizer bounces around, but I hear nothing.
>
> I don't even think this is a volume issue:
>
>   $ mixer
>   Mixer vol      is currently set to  26:26
>   Mixer pcm      is currently set to  78:78
>   Mixer speaker  is currently set to  80:80
>   Mixer line     is currently set to  78:78
>   Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
>   Mixer cd       is currently set to  78:78
>   Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>   Mixer line1    is currently set to  78:78
>   Mixer video    is currently set to  78:78
>
> I've been tracking 4.0 for the last year or so, and I could swear that it
> did work at some point, but I don't remember at what point it broke.
>
> Has anybody seen this before/suggestions?

	This is really a SWAG, but could your volume be set too
	low?  Re-set it to 100% just for laughs.  When I try the
	light/sound app that I wrote, if /dev/mixer volume is
	.LT. 30, it is hard to hear anything, esp'ly the lower
	frq beats.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix