Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 2015 17:49:52 +0200
From:      Daniel Kalchev <daniel@digsys.bg>
To:        Jason Birch <jbirch@jbirch.net>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>, =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH HPN

It is my understanding, that using the NONE cypher is not identical to =
using =E2=80=9Cthe old tools=E2=80=9D (rsh/rlogin/rcp).

When ssh uses the NONE cypher, credentials and authorization are still =
encrypted and verified. Only the actual data payload is not encrypted.

Perhaps similar level of security could be achieved by =E2=80=9Cthe old =
tools=E2=80=9D if they were by default compiled with Kerberos. Although, =
this still requires building additional infrastructure.

I must have missed the explanation. But why having a NONE cypher =
compiled in, but disabled in the configuration is a bad idea?

Daniel