Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 00:05:50 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: fsck not cleaning on first try

I think I have a partial explaination of the fsck not working on
the first try, and a reboot fixing it.

I've been using Soren's new driver for some time, and did a MAKEDEV
after the block device changes, but I found that it I booted with
a dirty root filesystem then fsck would fix the problem, but mount
wouldn't let me remount / rw. This problem didn't apply to other
filesystems.

I added some printfs to fsck, and it turned out fsck wasn't setting
the "hotroot" flag, and so wasn't reloading the filesystem after
making changes. However, a similar box in college (SCSI) didn't
have any problems.

The problem seems to be that I'm listing the "/dev/wd1s1a" devices
in fstab instead of "/dev/ad1s1a", and fsck doesn't recognise that
they are the same thing, and so doesn't spot that it needs to set
the hotroot flag.

I'm not sure if this is purely a config problem, or if the compatility
devices should be more compatable.

	David.