Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 16:11:56 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org>
Subject:   [HEADS-UP] Import of src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig from sysutils/bsdconfig (ports)

Hi All,

I'd like to announce that I intend to import bsdconfig(8) today.

=3D=3D=3D

Run-up=85

Q. What is bsdconfig(8)?
A. dialog(1) based post-install configuration utility for configuring/manag=
ing various aspects of FreeBSD.

Q. What does it look like?
A. No screenshots, but I do have a graphic illustrating the menu layout=85

http://druidbsd.sf.net/download/bsdconfig/bsdconfig-0.7.0-ic.svg

Q. Why do we need this in base?
A. Because this functionality was exactly produced by sysinstall(8) which h=
as been deprecated (will not exist in FreeBSD 10). FreeBSD-9 is where bsdin=
stall is being evaluated as a replacement for the install functionality of =
sysinstall(8) meanwhile bsdconfig is to replace the configuration/managemen=
t functionalities of sysinstall.

Q. Did you discuss this with anyone?
A. Everyone that would listen in the past 6 months as we run up to the 9.1 =
code freeze.

Q. Did anyone test this?
A. Ron, myself, and about 8 others in the community did both high-level tes=
ting, low-level review, and more over the past 6 months.

Q. If it doesn't go well, can we back it out?
A. Sure -- it's entirely self contained. src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig is the only=
 directory being touched (oh, and the Makefile in the parent directory to a=
dd the new SUBDIR).

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

=3D=3D=3D

Heads-up=85

Code will land in src/usr.sbin/bsdconfig and _nowhere_ else.

The code will be voluminous (~20k LOC across ~150 files including ~30 Makef=
iles).

The code is entirely in sh(1) (don't knock it until you've seen it).

The code used in this tool and all sub-modules was developed primarily over=
 a 150-day period, but in reality contains code developed and revised over =
the past 5 years, entirely BSD licensed!

All code was written by Ron McDowell and myself.

=3D=3D=3D

If there are no complaints by End-Of-Day (EOD), I'll go ahead and import.
--=20
Cheers,
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.