Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2018 21:48:08 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Letting start sshd in an early stage on ARM devices

Last week I had the first official presentation of my ADC/DAC-project =
with a BeagleBone Black running FreeBSD 12.0-ALPHA5.

I experienced a problem with the NFS client, which was sort of home made =
problem, because in the hurry I forgot to deactivate the mount-directive =
of a nfs share in fstab, and when I started the BBB before the =
presentation, it was not connected to it's home-network and it hang at =
that point. I built it into a very tight box and there was no place =
anymore for the FTDI serial connector, and since sshd is usually loaded =
as one of the last services, I was effectively locked out of the BBB. =
Fortunately, I overcame the problem by simulating the nfs share with my =
notebook and after restart, I was able to fix the fstab right before the =
actual presentation began, so nobody saw that I had a problem - anyway, =
I would prefer to never become that nervous again.=20

My question is now, why is sshd set to start so very late in the booting =
process? If we want to put autonomous ARM devices somewhere into the =
field, then any hick-up in the startup sequence would leave us =
out-locked.

For testing purposes, I changed the sshd rc script by replacing the line =
starting with # REQUIRE: ... by:

   # REQUIRE: ipfw
   # BEFORE: mountcritremote

Now, sshd starts right after ipfw has been set up, and in case the BBB =
hangs, e.g. in the course of mounting a nfs share, I am still able to =
login via ssh and fix most of the issues.

I would like to leave it like this (at least on the headless ARM =
devices). Are there any risks or hidden problems which I might =
experience, when having sshd running very early in the boot sequence? Of =
course after any FreeBSD update, I would need to check the sshd rc =
script.

Best regards

Rolf=