Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:32:48 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        sgnezdov@sergei.homeunix.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Howto monitor system security

--D8QxnvyRlKGQJxl7

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 09:58:41PM +0000, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:
> Sorry, it is a rather generic message, but the problem is a generic as
> well.
>=20
> I am running my FreeBSD machine on DMZ.  I use ipfw and I expose http
> and smtp ports.  I also expose sshd port, but only to a trusted
> network (work).  I'd like to know what is the best way to monitor my
> machine security.
>=20
> FreeBSD security email is rather anoying, because it keeps sending
> messages even if nothing has changed.  I need an email sent to me only
> if there is something abnormal.

What happens when someone breaks in and disables it from sending email?

Think of it as a kind of heartbeat.

<snip>

>=20
rg"

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2
=20

--D8QxnvyRlKGQJxl7

--D8QxnvyRlKGQJxl7--