Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:20:56 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Wiebe" <jerwiebe@canada.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: since it's a newbies list, here goes.... (VM Ware)

Hey everyone,

I downloaded the demonstration version of VM Ware a while ago.  I installed
it on my Linux computer and it worked like a charm.  When you run it you can
choose to install a new OS or use a current partition that already has an OS
installed.  The neatest thing about VMWare is that you can change the way it
treats changes to the filesystem when the "client" OS is running.  You can
allow all changes to occur, make all changes reset at each run, or prompt to
save changes when shutting down the virtual machine.  Note:  These
filesystems for the client OS's are just regular files on the host OS.

The one thing that I found that would be a limitation is the speed.  I have
a K6 II 350 with 128 MB ram and it ran Win 95 quite slow.  I didn't try any
other OS's as I didn't have access to any others.   Overall, if the speed
were increased it would be a very useful product if you still need the
unnamed Redmond OS. =)

Jeremy Wiebe
	icq: 4945359
	email: jerwiebe@canada.com